Ready to get the ball rolling?
We’re committed to training more women for careers in tech. One of the ways we do this is by providing coding bootcamp scholarships for women. Through our rigorous application process, we select passionate, talented students and award them bootcamp scholarships to a full-time or after-hours bootcamp in Detroit or Grand Rapids this year. The admissions team considers demonstrated a level of commitment, career goals, and unique skills.
Candidates interested in the DEVELOP(her) scholarship must complete our regular bootcamp admissions process by submitting an application and attending an in-person interview.
We’re excited to partner with the Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT) for the third year for early career mentorship for the scholarship awardees.
Requirements & Commitments
- Must identify as female
- Be over 18 years old
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of work experience
- Any type of full-time (32 hours or more/week) position held for a minimum of 6 months
- Scholarship winners agree to awardee commitments (see below)
- Applicant must be available for the full length of the bootcamp
- Submit a video answering a prompt on your personal Facebook page
- Applicant must:
- Provide proof of individual income (if applicable)
- Consider themselves underemployed or unemployed
- Be a Michigan resident
- Agree to be a part of a two-part blog series/interview series
- Attend and speak at one bootcamp info session per quarter
- Opt in to the Grand Circus Career Assistance process
- Commit to a Facebook Live on your bootcamp experience
- Commit to being available for media appearances
- Full-tuition scholarship to a full-time / after-hours bootcamp
- Membership for a year in Michigan Council for Women in Technology (MCWT)
- Mentorship through the MCWT Ignite program
- Apply to a bootcamp as normal through the interest form/application
- Complete the DEVELOP(her) qualifying questions in the bootcamp application
- Schedule an in-person interview with the admissions team (invite only)
- If you are chosen to move on to the next step in the admissions process you will:
- Submit a 30-60 second video to your personal Facebook page answering this question: Why do you want to be a developer? (note that if you do not have a personal Facebook page you will be asked to create one) Make sure to tag Grand Circus (@GrandCircusCo) in the video description and make your post public.
- You will be asked to submit a $400 refundable deposit in order to receive the mandatory Unit 1: pre-work
Grand Circus will decide on scholarship awardees based on Unit 1 scores, application, video submissions, and advisory board decisions.
*Applicants must be accepted into bootcamp through the regular admissions process by June 1, 2018. This includes filling out a bootcamp application and attending an in-person interview with the admissions team. Applicants that receive the Unit 1: at-home pre-work will also need to provide proof of income.
Applications for our July DEVELOP(her) scholarship are now closed. Anyone that has submitted an application prior to May 31 must complete an interview before June 8 to eligible for this scholarship.
- Review Unit 1 for final scores and award scholarship(s)
- July 16: Bootcamps begins! (NOTE: These scholarships are individual and will be dispersed into existing bootcamps, DEVELOP(her) is not it’s own cohort)
What happens if I don't receive the scholarship but still want to take a bootcamp?
What does annual individual income mean?
What are you looking for in a scholarship awardee?
Do I need to quit my job to take a bootcamp?
What is the regular bootcamp admissions process?Candidates interested in a DEVELOP(her) Scholarship will need to complete a bootcamp application (linked above), be invited and participate in an in-person interview with the Grand Circus admissions team, receive admittance into the bootcamp, and complete and pass the Unit 1: at-home prework.
Interested in more bootcamp FAQs? Check out our FAQ page here.