Ready to get the ball rolling?
We’re committed to training more women for careers in tech. One of the ways we do this is by providing coding bootcamp scholarships for women. Through our rigorous application process, we select passionate, talented students and award them bootcamp scholarships to a full-time or after-hours bootcamp in Detroit or Grand Rapids this year. The admissions team considers demonstrated a level of commitment, career goals, and unique skills.
Candidates interested in the DEVELOP(her) scholarship must complete our regular bootcamp admissions process by submitting an application and attending an in-person interview.
We’re excited to partner with the Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT) for the third year for early career mentorship for the scholarship awardees.
Requirements & Commitments
- Must identify as female
- Be over 18 years old
- Must have a minimum of 2 years of work experience
- Any type of full-time (32 hours or more/week) position held for a minimum of 6 months
- Scholarship winners agree to awardee commitments (see below)
- Applicant must be available for the full length of the bootcamp
- Applicant must:
- Have an annual family income of $50K or less
- Consider themselves underemployed or unemployed
- Be a Michigan resident
- Agree to be a part of a two-part blog series/interview series
- Attend and speak at one bootcamp info session per quarter
- Opt in to the Grand Circus Career Assistance process
- Commit to a Facebook Live on your bootcamp experience
- Commit to being available for media appearances
- Full-tuition scholarship to a full-time / after-hours bootcamp
- Membership for a year in Michigan Council for Women in Technology (MCWT)
- Mentorship through the MCWT Ignite program
- Apply to a bootcamp as normal through interest form/application
- Complete the DEVELOP(her) qualifying questions in the bootcamp application
- If you are chosen to move on to the next step in the admissions process you will:
- Submit a 30-60 second video to your personal Facebook page answering a prompted question (note that if you do not have a personal Facebook page you will be asked to create one)
- Submissions will be reviewed by the Grand Circus DEVELO(her) advisory board and five (5) will be chosen to receive the unit 1: pre-work
- Complete the bootcamp unit 1: at-home pre-work
Grand Circus will decide on scholarship awardees based on unit 1 scores and advisory board decisions. Once candidate(s) are awarded the scholarship they will be asked to put down a $400 refundable deposit.
*Applicants must be accepted into bootcamp through the regular admissions process by June 1, 2018. This includes filling out a bootcamp application and attending an in-person interview with the admissions team. Applicants that receive the unit 1: at-home pre-work will also need to provide proof of income.
- May 26: DEVELOP(her) Applications and in-person interviews must be completed
- May 31: Facebook videos must be submitted
- The Grand Circus DEVELOP(her) advisory board reviews applications and videos and chooses top-5 who will then receive the unit 1: at-home pre-work
- Review unit 1 for final scores and award scholarship(s)
- July 16: Bootcamp begins!
What happens if I don't receive the scholarship but still want to take a bootcamp?
What are you looking for in a scholarship awardee?
Do I need to quit my job to take a bootcamp?
What is the regular bootcamp admissions process?Candidates interested in a DEVELOP(her) Scholarship will need to complete a bootcamp application (linked above), be invited and participate in an in-person interview with the Grand Circus admissions team, receive admittance into the bootcamp, and complete and pass the unit 1: at-home prework.
Interested in more bootcamp FAQs? Check out our FAQ page here.