*This is a part-time position, primarily in the evenings, for 3 nights a week.
At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as our teaching assistant (TA)!
WHAT DOES A TEACHING ASSISTANT DO?
Grand Circus teaching assistants help change students’ lives by sharing their developer skills and expertise. Teaching assistants work closely with students, Grand Circus instructors, the campus directors, and program managers to ensure that students have all of the technical skills they need to be career-ready at the end of their bootcamp. It is the role of the teaching assistant to help students get the technical skills not just that they will need to truly be successful on the job, but to be enthusiastic contributors to the tech community overall. In action, this means that teaching assistants are responsible for:
- Providing feedback to students
- Working with program manager, instructor, and the whole Learning Team.
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers, instructors and the Director of Learning
- Providing real world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to support the instructor
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
SO, WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus teaching assistant. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- Opportunities to grow as an instructor
- Parking downtown
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a new teaching assistant who
- Availability to work nights, for up to 20 hours a week
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of bootcamp content (through work experience, schooling, technical assessment, or all three!)
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
It would be awesome if our new teaching assistant also…
- Has Github experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
HOW TO APPLY:
If one of these positions sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email email@example.com with the subject line “After Hours C# .NET Teaching Assistant – Grand Rapids”. In your email, please also provide your answers to the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” How will you help make this core value a reality in the classroom?