At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as our new .NET Core instructor!
What Does An Instructor Do?
Grand Circus instructors help change students’ lives by sharing their developer skills and expertise. Instructors work closely with students, Grand Circus teaching assistants, the Director of Learning, and program managers to ensure that students have all of the technical skills they need to be career-ready at the end of their bootcamp. Instructors are responsible for the technical know-how of their students. It is the role of the instructor to help students get the C# and .NET Core skills not just that they will need to truly be successful on the job, but to be enthusiastic contributors to the tech community overall. In action, this means that instructors are responsible for:
- Leading daily classroom activities; everything from technical lecture, to labs, to review sessions, to the always-popular fishbowl
- Providing feedback to students
- Working with program managers, teaching assistants, and the Director of Learning to respond to student feedback
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers and the Director of Learning about student progress
- Providing real world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to adapt to student and/or employer needs
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
So, what are the perks?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus instructor. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Competitive compensation
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- 24/7 Parking Downtown
- Becoming a part of the nerdiest, coolest team at Grand Circus
What Are We Looking For?
This individual would join us for a three-day-a-week contract for twelve of twenty weeks starting in May.
When it comes to skills, we’re looking for a new instructor who:
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of C# & .NET Core (through work experience, schooling, technical assessment, or all three!)
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
- Experience with DevOps/AWS
It would be awesome if our new instructor also…
- Has a degree in Computer Science
- Has 3 – 5 years of teaching experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
How To Apply:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email email@example.com with the subject line “Immersive .NET Core Instructor – Detroit” and your answers to the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?
- We have team lunch together monthly where one person brings a special dish to share with everyone. What would you bring?
*There are currently two .NET Core Instructor positions available in Detroit. This opportunity, and one that’s nights only! Please indicate in which position you are interested in your email.*