At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest-growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. We can’t do that without a passionate team of content experts, instructors and teaching assistants, and we’re looking for someone with the chops to lead a passionate team by example. Come make a huge impact with us as our Front-End Instructor!
What Does A Front-End Instructor Do?
Grand Circus instructors help change students’ lives by sharing their developer skills and expertise. Front-End Instructors should be passionate about all things Front-End – from frameworks to CSS and all the nuances that make someone a stellar Front-End dev. Front-End Instructors are responsible for:
- Leading daily classroom activities; everything from technical lecture, to labs, to review sessions, to the always-popular fish bowl
- Planning activities, demos, and learning opportunities for students with your TA, Program Manager, and other teachers
- Working with program managers, teaching assistants, and the Director of Learning to respond to student feedback
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers and the Director of Learning about student progress
- Providing real-world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to adapt to student and/or employer needs
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
So, what are the perks?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being on the instructional team at Grand Circus. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. On top of that, Lead Front-End Instructors influence the direction of our content, ensuring relevancy and job-accuracy, while also sharing his or her skills to coach instructors and teaching assistants on his or her team. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Competitive compensation and benefits
- Regular feedback for growth
- 24/7 Parking Downtown
- Becoming a part of the nerdiest, coolest team at Grand Circus
What Are We Looking For?
We’re looking for someone who loves Front-End and is passionate about how a bootcamp experience can transform lives. Practically speaking, we want someone who:
- Has at least two years of professional web development experience
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and teaching
- Cares deeply about community
- Obsesses about consistency and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
It would be awesome if our new instructor also…
- Has a degree in Computer Science
- Has some teaching or mentoring experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
- Can demonstrate proficiency in another Front-End framework
- Can demonstrate proficiency with C# .NET or Java
How To Apply:
To apply for this position, please email email@example.com with the subject line “Front-End Instructor – Detroit” and your thoughtful answer to the following questions:
- Learning to code is both exciting and challenging. Describe the a-ha moment that make you fall in love with development.
- At Grand Circus, one of our core values is “Anyone Can Be a Developer.” How will you work to make that a reality while you’re with us?
- Grand Circus serves a wide variety of students with a really diverse background. How do you plan to leverage your unique experience and perspective to motivate a classroom of newbies?