At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest-growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as our newest instructor!
What does an instructor do?
Grand Circus instructors help change students’ lives by sharing their developer skills and expertise. Instructors work closely with students (duh!), Grand Circus teaching assistants, the Director of Learning, and program managers to ensure that students have all of the technical skills they need to be career-ready at the end of their bootcamp. Instructors are responsible for the technical know-how of their students, not just that they will need to truly be successful on the job, but to be enthusiastic contributors to the tech community overall. In action, this means that instructors are responsible for:
- Leading daily classroom activities; everything from technical lectures, to labs, to review sessions, to the always-popular fish bowl
- Providing feedback to students
- Working with program managers, teaching assistants, and the Director of Learning to respond to student feedback
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers and the Director of Learning about student progress
- Providing real-world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to adapt to student and/or employer needs
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
So, what are the perks?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus instructor. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Competitive compensation
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- 24/7 Parking Downtown
- Becoming a part of the nerdiest, coolest team at Grand Circus
What are we looking for?
We want someone to lead our immersive, day-time bootcamps. When it comes to skills, we’re looking for a new instructor who
- Has at least 2 years of developer experience (between C# and Java)
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of Java, Spring & Hibernate (through work experience, schooling, technical assessment, or all three!)
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of C# & .NET Core, including MVC, Entity Framework or Dapper, and Identity, (through work experience, schooling, technical assessment, or all three!)
- Can demonstrate a thorough understanding of building and consuming REST APIs
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
It would be awesome if our new instructor also…
- Has a degree in Computer Science
- Has previous teaching experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
How to apply:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email email@example.com with the subject line “Immersive .NET Core Instructor – Detroit” and your answers to the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?
- We have team lunch together monthly where one person brings a special dish to share with everyone. What would you bring?