At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as the Rising TIDE Project Coordinator.
This is a 2-year, part-time (15-20 hours week) contract position.
WHAT IS THE RISING T.I.D.E. INITIATIVE?
Grand Circus proposes to expand its current outreach and introductory coding training activities to create a new tech talent pipeline for local companies. Our goal is to introduce 1,000 diverse adults, 11th and 12th graders to career opportunities in the tech profession, and simultaneously engage them in basic and advanced coding training through the Rising TIDE (Technology, Inclusion, Diversity, and Education).
WHAT DOES A PROJECT COORDINATOR DO?
This individual will be responsible for implementing, monitoring, measuring and meeting the stated outcomes of the Rising TIDE project under the supervision of the Assistant Campus Director and in accordance with the City of Grand Rapids’ SmartZone contract.
In action, this means that the Project Coordinator is responsible for:
- Working with the Grand Circus team, bootcamp alums and community organizations to schedule and coordinate all aspects of the Intro to Coding Workshops in the Greater Grand Rapids area.
- Collaborating with the Grand Circus marketing team to ensure workshops are posted and promoted on the appropriate online platforms.
- Leading the planning and non-technical execution of Intro to Coding Workshops, including: welcoming students, overviewing careers possibilities and outcomes and the Grand Circus story, coordinating staff training, supporting Workshop TAs and instructors, collecting participant surveys and attendance data, and communicating pre and post Workshop information.
- Facilitating partnerships with community organizations to host careers in coding presentations, recruit basic and advanced training participants and schedule workshops in the Certified Technology Park and Grand Circus Grand Rapids interest areas
- Identifying and supporting Intro to Coding Workshop attendees in continued learning, including advanced training options at Grand Circus
- Becoming a Grand Circus and local tech industry ambassador, sharing the mission and training options with stakeholder groups and the public
- Educating the public on Grand Circus free and tuition based training options
- Collecting, analyzing, and reporting monthly and quarterly data from all events and participants, including regular reports in accordance with the SmartZone contract requirements
- Regularly problem solving and suggesting process improvements to improve the program experience for staff, participants and partners
- Working independently with support from the Grand Circus team, and meeting regularly with the Assistant Campus Director
- Overseeing the project budget, including tracking and reporting inventory, expenses, reporting and making purchases in accordance with the budget
- Performing other related duties as assigned
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a Project Coordinator who:
- Is passionate about workforce development and helping people start a career in tech
- Has availability to work 15-20 hours per week for the duration of the grant-funded project, including some evenings and weekends
- Obsesses about preparation, organization, communication and creating the best experience possible
- Is comfortable with reviewing and analyzing data and using data to tell a story
- Has charisma and comfort teaching and interacting with new people and those from diverse backgrounds
- Is confident energizing stakeholders around a common cause and following up on small and large details
- Can demonstrate advanced knowledge of Excel (or Google Sheets), PowerPoint, and the Google Suite
- Communicates well, both written and orally
- Cares deeply about everyone in the community
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
SUCCESS IN THIS POSITION IS DEFINED BY:
- Regularly scheduled, well run and attended Intro to Coding Workshops in Greater Grand Rapids
- Diverse training participants – in ethnicity, age and background/experience
- A number of participants (10 – 20%) from the Intro to Coding Workshops are prepared for advanced, career-changing training opportunities
- Data and outcomes are understood and regularly and thoroughly reported
- New partnerships and increased brand recognition in the community
It would be awesome if our project coordinator also has…
- Worked with grant reporting in the past
- Coordinated project or groups before
- An interest in the tech industry
- Some experience working with the City of Grand Rapids, Grand Rapids Public Schools, and knowledge of other community groups
SO, WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being involved with this project and working with the Grand Circus Grand Rapids team.
- Regular feedback for professional growth
- Opportunities to grow as a program coordinator
- Becoming a part of the Grand Circus Grand Rapids juggernaut
HOW TO APPLY:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Rising TIDE Project Coordinator”. Include the answers to the following questions in your email:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?
- Based on what you know of this position, what areas do you anticipate you’d need the most support? In what areas would you excel in?