*This is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 5pm. We need one Front-End Teaching Assistant for October 2019*
At Grand Circus, we train students for jobs in Michigan’s fastest growing tech companies. We know that anyone can be a developer, so we’re passionate about educating career transitioners in coding and other skills that lead to high-growth careers. Come make a huge impact with us as our teaching assistant (TA)!
This is suitable for both a college internship or a full-time contractor.
WHAT DOES A TEACHING ASSISTANT DO?
Grand Circus teaching assistants help change students’ lives by sharing their developer skills and expertise. Teaching assistants work closely with students, Grand Circus instructors, the campus directors, and program managers to ensure that students have all of the technical skills they need to be career-ready at the end of their bootcamp. It is the role of the teaching assistant to help students get the Front-End skills not just that they will need to truly be successful on the job, but to be enthusiastic contributors to the tech community overall. In action, this means that teaching assistants are responsible for:
- Providing feedback to students
- Working with program manager, instructor, and GC GR team.
- Responding to student inquiries on Slack
- Communicating with program managers, instructors and the
- Providing real world examples and context for lessons
- Building a supportive classroom environment
- Adjusting curriculum and content to support the instructor
- Sharing passion and enthusiasm for development
- Help schedule Intro to Codes and other training sessions
SO, WHAT ARE THE PERKS?
There are a lot of wonderful things to say about being a Grand Circus teaching assistant. It’s hard to beat the feeling that accompanies alumni reaching out to tell you they landed a great new job because of what you taught them. It’s also hard to beat that warm-and-fuzzy feeling that happens when you see it finally click for a student. It also doesn’t hurt that you’re essentially shaping the minds of an army of newbie developers. Want even more? Check out our careers page, plus…
- Regular feedback for instructional growth
- Opportunities to grow as an instructor
- Becoming a part of the Grand Circus Grand Rapids juggernaut
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We’re looking for a new teaching assistant who
- Availability to work 40 hours throughout a bootcamp.
- Ability to learn
- Communicates complicated programming concepts in beginner-friendly language
- Is passionate about mentoring and/or teaching
- Cares deeply about the community
- Obsesses about preparation and organization
- Is open to giving and receiving feedback
- Can handle the fast pace and quick changes of startup life
It would be awesome if our new teaching assistant also…
- Has Github experience
- Has worked on open-source projects
HOW TO APPLY:
If this position sounds right for you, we’re so excited to meet you! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Full-Time Front-End Teaching Assistant – Grand Rapids” and your answers to the following questions:
- What experiences in your life make you uniquely qualified for this position?
- One of Grand Circus’ core values is “anyone can be a developer.” What does this mean to you?