What will I learn?
We will work in team to tackle a relevant challenge in a supportive, collaborative and fun learning environment. The course will include strategic design techniques like design research, visualisation, and mapping. We will also develop new ideas to test and refine for practice or future action.
Design & Innovation Primer
Introduction to exercises & methods
Design Challenge Studio
Design research overview
Overview of design tools and resources
Design Challenge Studio
Review of Case studies
Team Report Outs
Wrap Up & Reflections
Who should take this course?
This course is ideal for professionals, entrepreneurs, and change agents from any industry who are tasked with problem solving and are looking for new approaches to finding creative solutions.
- Anyone curious to learn about the broader applications of design
- Gain better understanding of design methods including design thinking and human centred design
- Equip with new tools and techniques to improve creative potential and design skills such as problem-solving, ideation and prototyping
- Learn new ways to connect with target audiences and stakeholders
- Practices the design process, how to work with others and bring it back to their workplaces and projects
- Developing skills in empathy and human-centered design
- Opportunities for networking and peer interaction
Featured Instructor: Terri Burch
Your instructor, Terri Burch, Design Strategist, leads Business Design Co., a Detroit-based strategic design consultancy that partners with doers and change agents leading innovation in their organizations and community to facilitate team collaborations and guide strategic decision-making. She has over 13 years experience in advisory roles to non-profits, SMEs, and multinational organizations. She is also a Strategic Design MBA fellow, certified design charrette community planning facilitator, and partners with DesignThinkers Group USA as a Service Designer.
Frequently Asked Questions
The cost for this course is $100 & will cover all costs of the class
Dates: August 8, 2017 (Wednesday & Thursday) from 6 – 9pm
Refund for Cancellation: An applicant requesting cancellation within three (3) business days after making an initial payment, but prior to seminar or workshop start date, is entitled to a refund of all tuition and fees paid with the exception of the non-refundable deposit (if applicable).
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge or serious interest in design principles, design thinking, strategic design or the like.
*It is important to note that this workshop is targeted to those who can find value in the broader application of design.
Materials to bring to class: Creativity and an open mind.More Answers